makes one 3-layer 8” cake
1 3/4 cups (350 gr) sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
7.5 oz (213 gr) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
12 Tbspn unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, bring the sugar and heavy cream to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the cream and sugar for six minutes. Be careful not to let the saucepan overflow.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate and butter until they have completely melted.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Let the frosting cool completely, whisking every now and then during cooling. (You can do this step in the refrigerator to speed up the process) Once completely cool at room temperature, the frosting will be spreadable.
3 cups (600 gr) sugar
scant 3 cups (425 gr) AP flour
1 cup + 2 Tbspn (135 gr) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 tspn salt
2 1/4 tspn baking powder
2 1/4 tspn baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cup hot coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease, flour, and line the bottoms of three 8” round cake pans. If desired, wrap the cake pans with bake-even strips.
2. In a mixer bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the beaten eggs, vegetable oil, and milk. Stir to mix. Then, with the mixer on low, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix on low until evenly distributed.
4. Pour the hot coffee into the batter and mix on medium low until smooth. The batter will be soupy.
5. Divide the batter between the cake pans.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out cleanly, the cakes are done. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
7. Level the cakes (this is easier if they’ve sat in the freezer for at least one hour beforehand).
8. Stack the cakes, spreading a layer of frosting in between each cake layer. Frost the outside of the cake—for a smoother finish, use a hot knife.
Note: this recipe also works for a 3-layer 9” cake, with slightly shorter layers.